Forum

Author Topic: help...what is the best brand of cocoa powder to use?  (Read 12872 times)

sethjill

help...what is the best brand of cocoa powder to use?
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:34:11 AM »
i would just like to know what is the best brand of cocoa powder to use in baking brownies and cup cakes?

because i used peotraco brand and my hubby doesn't like the taste of it...

one time i have used dutche and i can't eat what i baked...lol!!! it's super super not eatable!!!!

maybe you can help me with my dilemma and suggest to me the best yet the cheaper one...

TIA!!!!

darkchoco

Re: help...what is the best brand of cocoa powder to use?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »
Hi, I use Bensdorp cocoa powder for baking, its really good.. hope this helps  :)

LaniEnriquez

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »
Yes, Bensdorp is really good. You can also use Hersheys cocoa powder.

chocolate_girl

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
Hello :-)

You can try the Tulip Bordeaux Cocoa Powder, it is available in Chef's Nook at Addition Hills near Shaw Blvd., it's reeeaaallllyyy good! I actually use 20% less versus the other cocoa powders I have tried.

spanisheyes98

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
You can also buy good cocoa powder in Chocolate Castle in P. Tuazon or Sweetcraft in Boni.

mommyjhane

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:45:52 PM »
Try KLK or Ferna for the local ones.

admin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:28:07 AM »
A lot of professional bakers use Valrhona. Really good quality. It's available in Bacchus in the Power Plant Mall.

diverbaker

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
Bensdorp!

Teddycapz

• CHEF AHOY! Pâtisserie Et Al.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 04:44:14 AM »
Hi.  First of all, you have to determine if your brownie and cupcake recipes require natural cocoa (like Hershey's and Ghirardelli) or Dutch-processed a.k.a. alkalized cocoa (like Dutche and Bensdorp) because they are not always interchangeable.  Read the label or ask your seller to find out which is which.  My cocoa of choice has always been the latter.

Natural cocoa is lighter in color and somewhat acidic with a strong chocolate flavor.  In baking, use natural cocoa in recipes which call for baking soda.  Combining natural cocoa which is an acid with an alkali such as baking soda creates a leavening action which allows the batter to rise during baking.

Dutch-processed cocoa has been processed with alkali to neutralize its natural acidity thus making it darker (sometimes with a reddish cast), milder in taste and less acidic than the non-alkalized kind -  even though its color suggests that it is the stronger flavored of the two.  Use Dutch-processed cocoa in recipes which call for baking powder as the primary leavener.  If alkalized cocoa is combined with baking soda in a cake recipe, it will create an overabundance of alkali in the batter.  As a result the batter will not rise properly, might not set within the prescribed time and the finished product will have a soapy taste.

I think this is what happened when you used Dutche which you said gave you inedible results.  I have used this brand in recipes specifying Dutch-processed cocoa and was quite satisfied with it.  I have also used it in recipes asking for natural cocoa but I had to add an acidic ingredient like buttermilk powder in a commensurate amount to neutralize the increased alkalinity.  The principle applies to all brands of Dutch-processed cocoa.  With that in mind, you might want to give Dutche a second chance.

In recipes where no leavening is required - neither baking powder nor baking soda is present - you can use either type of cocoa.

There is no disputing the fact that premium brands like Bensdorp, Valrhona, Callebaut, Lindt and Ghirardelli have far better quality which understandably comes with much higher and even staggering price tags.  But I firmly believe that superior quality does not always have to be pricey.  Try checking out more pocket-friendly yet worth recommending brands like De Zann and KLK which are even less expensive than Hershey's.  Feel free to ask your seller - most baking and confectionery supplies stores like Chocolate Lovers, Sweetcraft, Bakers Depot, Bakemaster and Carla's (the last two in Sucat, Parańaque City) can recommend the cocoa brand which best fits your budget.  If you rely mainly on the supermarket as your source, then go for the usually reliable Hershey's, the much improved Goya and even Ferna which I have also tried with fairly good results.  Oh, as already mentioned, don't count out Dutche just yet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:15:06 AM by Teddycapz »
A shamelessly passionate food professional with an insatiable lust for rhyme, rhythm and reason.  Go figure.
http://chefahoy.multiply.com

youtin

• That's pronounced "YOH-tin"
    • That Magician! - Kitchen Novice
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
@ Teddycapz: I'm not the original poster but thanks so much for your very informative post about the types of cocoa powders :)
In which the kitchen novice keeps track of her trials and tribulations ⇒
http://thatmagician.blogspot.com/

Teddycapz

• CHEF AHOY! Pâtisserie Et Al.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:41:14 PM »
@ youtin:  You're welcome - glad to be of some help.  :-)
A shamelessly passionate food professional with an insatiable lust for rhyme, rhythm and reason.  Go figure.
http://chefahoy.multiply.com

teresa

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 03:24:27 AM »
for me any brand of cocoa, i'm using cocoa made from batangas.

nokctuazon

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 03:40:24 PM »
Hi! I will suggest BENSDORP! its one of the best i guess. Ive been using eversince i started on baking.  Try it and it will make your product taste really good.

sethjill

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »
thanks to all who have replied to my query and sorry for the late response...i will check out those products and i hope that i can find the perfect cocoa powder for my picky hubby...Thanks a lot!

teresa

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 03:50:12 AM »
marami kang matututunan kay teddycapz.

Get first dibs on our latest promos and news, plus get to see our newsletter-exclusive Yummy menu!