Yes, You Can Use Another Baking Pan! Here's How
Not everyone has the same size baking pans.
With the sheer number of different baking pans sizes and even shapes, you might have a different baking size than the one being used in the recipe. It's a question that needs to be answered¬†quickly.¬†¬†
Fortunately, there is an easy way to know exactly how much batter your baking pan hold:¬†fill your pan with water up to the brim of the pan. Do it by the cup so you know exactly how much¬†in cups of batter it can hold.¬†
However, remember that you normally do not completely¬†fill a baking pan with cake batter.¬†This test is purely for your reference so that you know that your¬†baking pan can hold, for example,¬†8 cups of cake batter. That is probably much more batter than¬†you would place in the cake pan but knowing this ensures that you do not overfill your pan. Plus it makes it easy to¬†choose which one among your baking pans is best for the recipe that you're making.¬†¬†¬†¬†
According to the Food Lover's Companion, an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan that's 1 1/2-inches (3.8 cm) high can hold about 6 cups batter, the same amount that an 8-inch (20 cm) by 2-inch (5 cm) high round pan will hold? That means that the batter you¬†make for a 8x8-inch square brownie pan can fit in¬†an 8-inch round cake pan!¬†
Here are a few more useful baking pan conversions from that book that¬†might prove useful (approximate length¬†by width by height):
- ‚ÄĘ¬†8x8x1.5-inch (20x20x4 cm) square pan¬†= 6 cups (1.4 L)¬†
- ‚ÄĘ 8x8x2 inch (20x20x5 cm) square pan =¬†8 cups (1.9 L)
- ‚ÄĘ 9x9x2 inch (23x23x5¬†cm) square pan =¬†10¬†cups (2.4 L)
- ‚ÄĘ 6x2-inch (15x5 cm) round pan = 4 cups (950 mL)¬†
- ‚ÄĘ¬†8x8x2-inch (20x20x5 cm)¬†round pan = 6 cups (1.4 L)
- ‚ÄĘ 9x1.5-inch (23x4 cm) round pan = 6 cups (2.4 L)¬†
- ‚ÄĘ 11x7x2 inch (28x18x5 cm) rectangular pan = 6 cups (1.4 L)¬†
- ‚ÄĘ 13x9x2 inches (33x23x5 cm) rectangular pan = 15 cups (3.5 L)
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group,¬†Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman!¬†Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.