WATCH: This Is How You Make The Fluffiest, Softest Cheese Bread
Who can resist these mounds of milky bites?
You know it's a very good bread recipe when¬†you can¬†down one of these down in less than a minute. You'll only understand how we could not help ourselves when¬†you make this easy yet highly addicting cheese bread rolls recipe.¬†
How do you make cheese bread?¬†
The recipe starts off quite simple and basic. You make bread dough, starting with flour, sugar, yeast, butter, and¬†two kinds of milk:¬†powdered milk¬†and fresh milk.¬†
What makes this really different from other¬†bread recipes is the gooey dough¬†mixture - the base - that's stirred into the main dough. It's an Asian bread-making technique of mixing flour and boiling water together¬†to make a sticky paste called "tangzhong", roughly¬†meaning a roux but made with water instead of fat.¬†
It's this that makes these cheese¬†bread rolls so fluffy soft and delicious.¬†
Then there's the topping. You may wonder why there is no cheese grated¬†into these cheese bread rolls but¬†the powdered milk, butter, and salt more than makes up for the flavor that you may be looking for. After all, cheese is made of milk and salt.¬†
These¬†fluffy cheese buns are fantastic as is, warmed and served with¬†your morning coffee, or sliced and slathered with more butter. Whichever your fancy, this bread recipe is a keeper.¬†¬†
Cheese Bread Recipe¬†
- Takes 1 hour 10 minutes plus cooling and proofing
- Makes 16 buns
- For the Base:
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Main Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour, more for kneading
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1 heaping teaspoon
- 3 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 3/4 cup fresh milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered milk
- 1/3 cup non-refrigerated margarine, more for topping
- 1 Make the base: Heat water until rolling boil. Combine bread flour, salt, and boiling water in a clean bowl. Mix with a spatula until it looks like a thick paste. Cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate the base until cold.
- 2 Make the main dough: Combine flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and powdered milk in a big clean bowl. Make a well in the middle and then pour in the fresh milk and the cold base. Mix well with a spatula until ragged.
- 3 Transfer the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough until the ragged edges are more cohesive. Add the butter piece by piece. Knead until smooth and pliable. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel, and place in a warm place. Proof for 1 hour.
- 4 Meanwhile, make the topping: Combine flour, brown sugar, powdered milk and margarine in a clean bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- 5 Once the dough has doubled in the size, punch it down. Transfer to a lightly floured surface, and then divide into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a tight ball and then place on a baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel and then proof for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Once proofed, bake the balls until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Brush each piece with margarine and then roll into the topping, pressing as needed to make it adhere to the bun.
If you're craving more bread recipes, try these recipes:¬†