WATCH: How to Make Cream Puffs
This is a beautiful and delish dessert!
Cream puffs are made from a dough called pâte à choux. It's a delicious dessert that you can fill with pastry cream, custard, or even ice cream and top with chocolate or caramel sauce. Once you master the basic pâte à choux dough, then get creative by experimenting with fillings, glazes, and toppings!
Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
whipped cream or custard
- 1 Preheat oven to 450F.
- 2 Make the pastry: Bring milk, water, butter, sugar, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- 3 Stir in flour. The mixture will resemble a thick paste. Stir constantly on low heat until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- 4 Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add the eggs one at a time. Mix until combined. As soon as the mixture is shiny and falls into a dropped peak when pulled, it is ready to be piped.
- 5 Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Use a plain tip for piping. Pipe 2-inch mounds for large cream puffs, spacing them 2 inches apart. Smooth pointed tips
with moistened finger.
- 6 Bake in a preheated oven; reduce temperature to 375ºF once cream puffs are placed inside. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 7 Remove from the oven. Poke with a fork after baking to release stem and allow to cool completely.
- 8 Assemble the dessert: Slice each cream puff crosswise and open like a sandwich. Place whipped cream (or custard, if desired) on the bottom halves of the puffs and sandwich with the top halves.
- 9 Drizzle each puff with 1 to 2 tablespoons of warm chocolate sauce and serve immediately.