WATCH: How To Make Creamy Ube Jelly Dessert
It's buko pandan but with ube!
This super creamy dessert is made with real ube halaya. So, if you're not yet tired of ube's earthy flavor and its gorgeous purple color, try this creamy summer dessert for a delicious twist on the buko pandan.
The signature green-flavored gulaman is replaced with purple, ube-flavored jelly, but it still swims in an incredibly creamy mixture with sago pearls and strands of sweetened coconut or macapuno. It's a simple dessert that's surprisingly refreshing.
We used gelatin to make the jelly for this dessert but you can also use powdered gulaman, too. Just remember to simmer the gulaman to activate its gelling properties. Plus, big chewy sago pearls make it easy to find one or two in each spoonful, but you can swap these out for the smaller kind.
Care to try this lovely ube version of the buko pandan? Here's the recipe:
Creamy Ube Jelly Dessert Recipe
- Takes 15 minutes plus setting time
- Makes 8 servings
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon ube flavoring and coloring
- 1 10-gram sachet powdered gelatin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup ube halaya
- 1 250-ml pack all-purpose cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ube flavoring and coloring
- 1/2 cup macapuno
- 1 cup cooked sago, prepared according to package directions
- 1 Make gelatin: In a 9- x 6-inch rectangular baking dish, pour in 1/2 cup hot water. Add ube flavoring and stir to distribute the color evenly. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add sugar and remaining 1 cup hot water. Stir until well dissolved. Set aside to cool and then refrigerate until completely set, about 4 hours. Using a knife, cut into squares. Set aside until ready to assemble.
- 2 In a large bowl, mash ube halaya. Add condensed milk and cream and mix until well mixed. Stir in ube flavoring and coloring. Add macapuno, sago, and gelatin cubes and mix together. Chill until ready to serve.
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.