WATCH: How to Make Malunggay Pandesal
Use this recipe to make this nutrient-packed pandesal.
Have you tried malunggay pandesal? Malunggay leaves (
- 1 cup┬ámalunggay┬áleaves
- 3 ┬╝ cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon iodized salt
- ┬Ż cup whole wheat flour (available in baking shops)
- ┬Ż cup brown sugar
- ┬╝ cup powdered skim milk
- 1 ┬╝ cup water
- ┬╝ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Breadcrumbs, for coating
- 1 Pick out malunggay leaves from the stems.
- 2 Blanch malunggay leaves in boiling and water and then immediately dip in cold water. Set aside in a strainer.
- 3 Make the dough: Place bread flour in a large clean bowl. Add the yeast and salt in separate areas of the bowl. Add the whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and powdered skim milk. Mix with a spatula and then make a well in the middle.
- 4 Gently pour in water and molasses. Mix well.
- 5 Add in butter.
- 6 Squeeze out excess water from malunggay leaves and add to the dough.
- 7 Mix the dough in the bowl.
- 8 Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until it is smooth and glossy.
- 9 Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and then cover with a damp cloth.
- 10 Let it rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- 11 Once double in size, punch out the air from the dough.
- 12 Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and then divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- 13 Roll the pieces into a tight ball and then let it rest for 10 minutes, covered with a damp cloth.
- 14 After 10 minutes, roll each ball into a cylindrical shape.
- 15 Roll the dough cylinders on a tray of bread crumbs until it is well covered. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 16 Cut each cylinder into 4 equal pieces. Arrange the pandesal pieces on a lightly greased baking tray and then cover with a damp cloth.
- 17 Let it proof for 1-1/2 hours.
- 18┬á Thirty minutes before the end of proofing time, preheat your oven to 375F.
- 19 Place the shaped pandesal into the oven and then bake for 20-25 minutes.