WATCH: How to Make Monay
Now, you can make your own version of this popular panaderya bread.
Makes 12 pieces
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup powdered skim milk
- 1 cup and 3 tablespoons water
- 1/8 cup margarine
- extra margarine and white sugar, for topping
- 1 In a large clean bowl, add flour, yeast, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, powdered skim milk. Make sure the yeast and the salt are not touching each other. Make a well in the center.
- 2 Gently pour in the water into the well.
- 3 Mix with a spatula until combined and the dough is ragged.
- 4 Once the dough forms a ragged mass, transfer to a lightly floured surface and then knead until the dough is smooth and glossy.
- 5 Transfer to a lightly-oiled bowl and then cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- 6 Deflate the dough and then transfer to a
- 7 Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and then roll tightly into a ball. Place on a baking tray. Make an indentation on each ball with scissors.
- 8 Cover with a damp towel and let it rest (proof) for 1-1/2 hours.
- 9 Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- 10 Once sufficiently proofed, bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11 Brush tops with margarine and then sprinkle with white sugar.