Spanish bread is a Filipino yeasted bread filled with a lightly sweet mix of butter and sugar. The bread is shaped into logs and rolled in bread crumbs, then baked until fluffy and golden brown. You will find Spanish bread is many local panaderias, but it’s easy to make at home! All you need is a little bit of patience.
- Spanish Bread Recipe
- Makes 20 pieces
- To make the dough:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- To make the Spanish bread filling:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose cream
- 2 tablespoons water
- For the coating:
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 Make the filling: Combine the flour, bread crumbs, butter, light brown sugar, all-purpose cream, and water in a medium-sized bowl. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- 2 Make the dough: In a clean bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Add the milk and canola oil and slowly mix together until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- 3 Once everything comes together, transfer only a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and shiny. Alternatively, mix a low speed in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment until the dough is smooth and shiny.
- 4 Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a kitchen towel or cling wrap and let rise in a warm spot for 60 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- 5 Once the dough has sufficiently risen, punch out the air and divide the dough into 20 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball. Cover the dough with a damp towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 6 To shape the Spanish bread: take one piece and gently stretch the dough lengthwise and place on a lightly oiled surface.
- 7 Take a lightly oiled rolling pin and flatten the lower half of the dough, forming a head on top and flat tail at the bottom.
- 8 Place around 1 to 2 tablespoons of Spanish bread filling right below the head of the dough.
- 9 Form a wing by stretching the sides of the head and then wrap it around the filling. Starting with the head, roll the dough tightly down towards the tail until it forms a cylinder. Make sure that you pinch the seams together or else the opening could burst open once it bakes.
- 10 Tuck in the sides of the cylinder by pressing or poking the dough inwards.
- 11 Place all the rolled pieces of Spanish bread into a bowl of bread crumbs and lightly toss to coat.
- 12 Arrange the pieces on a lightly oiled baking tray and cover with a damp towel. Set the bread aside to proof for 60 to 90 minutes, or until the bread has doubled in size.
- 13 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the Spanish bread for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW