You Only Need 4 Ingredients To Make The Best Cheese Sauce
Four ingredients is all it takes to make the best cheese sauce to pour over nacho chips, fries, steak sandwiches, or tacos. All it takes is butter or margarine, evaporated milk, all-purpose flour, and (of course) cheese.
These are the basic ingredients, but did you know that you can make it even better? You can. In fact, it's worth it to know how to make an easy cheese sauce, and it's one that is easy to make over and over again. It's useful in many recipes and not just for dipping into with chips.
From drizzling over nachos and fries to stirring into cooked pasta for a simple macaroni and cheese meal, you can easily tweak it, too. Use and add other ingredients to transform it into a different type of cheese sauce to serve with your dishes. All this is easy if you already know how to make the basic version already.
Easy Cheese Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (154-ml) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add flour; mix well. Add evaporated milk; whisk until well incorporated.
- 2 Add grated cheese. Mix well until cheese is melted and mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Season with pepper. Use immediately.
- That's it. Easy? Yes. Delicious? Definitely. Now, that you know how to make the basic cheese sauce, try these other ideas:
- 1 Sub out the cheddar cheese for blue cheese to make the perfect dip for buffalo wings or use a combo of mozzarella and kesong puti to create a hot, gooey dip.
- 2 Use queso de bola or Parmesan to make it more flavorful or add roasted garlic to make a garlicky cheese sauce.
- 3 Use cream instead of milk for the creamiest cheese sauce to stir with pasta or for topping a lasagna.
- 4 Mix the cheese with some finely chopped pimentos to create a pimento cheese spread that you can use on sliced bread or blend in some salsa to create the ultimate nacho cheese sauce.
- If you've got more ideas, go with it because whichever way you make it, you can start to make this basic cheese sauce into the best-tasting one you will ever taste.
Recipe by Trinka Gonzales from "Trinka's Out of the Box Idea" from the May 2016 issue of Yummy magazine.