WATCH: These Crunchy Onion Rings + Sriracha Mayo Dip are the Perfect Holiday Appetizers!
The super crunchy and tender onions rings come alive with the tangy, sweet and spicy dip!
You can make onion rings right at home! This isn't like any onion rings you've had though. Marinating the onions in buttermilk gives you tender onions without the spicy aftertaste that lingers way beyond its due.¬†The double coating of crispy breadcrumbs ensures¬†crispiness all around. It can get quite addicting when dipped in the creamy, spicy, sweet and tangy dip!
Serve these¬†as appetizers this Christmas for a delicious start to the night.¬†
Onion Rings and Sriracha Mayo Dip¬†Recipe¬†
Prep Time¬†45 minutes¬†
Cooking Time¬†5 minutes¬†
Ready In¬†50 minutes¬†
- 3 cups¬†fresh milk¬†
- 3 tablespoons vinegar¬†
- 1 large white onion, sliced¬†
- 1/2 teaspoon salt¬†
- 1 tablespoon paprika¬†
- 1/2 cup¬†all-purpose¬†flour¬†
- Oil for deep frying¬†
- 300 grams Panko breading, as needed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise¬†¬†
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha¬†
- 1 tablespoon calamansi concentrate¬†
- 1/2 teaspoon¬†patis¬†
For the onion rings: Make homemade buttermilk by mixing fresh milk and vinegar, then set aside.¬†Slice onions into half-inch wide rings.¬†Marinate onion rings¬†in the buttermilk for 30 minutes to overnight.¬†
2¬†Prepare your breading station. In a bowl, mix flour, salt, and paprika. In another bowl, lightly beat eggs with¬†salt. In another bowl,¬†fill half with panko breadcrumbs.¬† ¬†
3¬†Put marinated onion rings on a drying rack. One at a time, coat all onion rings in the flour, then in egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs.¬†Dip¬†rings back in the eggs again, then the breadcrumbs again.
- TIP:¬†Remove clumped breadcrumbs occasionally and top up with fresh bread crumbs when necessary. Remove breadcrumbs from the egg mixture to make it easier to dip the onions.¬†¬†
4¬†Fill a pot with enough oil to¬†have 2 inches of oil¬†and¬†turn on the heat.¬†
- TIP: Here's a trick to¬†know if your oil is ready: dip a wooden spin and if bubbles immediately start bubbling around it, it's hot enough.¬†
5¬†Using your tongs, deep fry¬†onion rings, turning once it reaches a golden stage. Take it out when golden¬†brown¬†and drain on a rack.¬†¬†
6¬†For the sriracha mayo¬†drip:¬†Mix¬†together mayonnaise, Sriracha, calamansi concentrate, and patis in a medium bowl. Serve with¬†crispy onion rings.¬† ¬†¬†
- TIP:¬†You can half cook your onion rings, freeze them, and cook them when ready to serve. If you want to reheat your cooked onion rings, use an oven toaster.¬†
Who needs to wait for Christmas to sample this delicious combo?¬†A single¬†onion yields so much deliciousness already, so¬†feel free to double it to share with even more people in the season of giving.¬†¬†