WATCH: This Is The Frozen And Creamy Version Of Your Favorite Buko Pandan Dessert
Coconut + Pandan + Ice cream = Delicious!
You'll find many desserts on the buffet table but none is more popular than the buko pandan dessert. Its green gelatin with coconut strands and coconut cream is flavored with pandan, or screwpine leaves, to give it another dimension in flavor. It's a combo that's delicious and texturally different that Pinoys obviously love.
So how do you make a classic dessert better? Here, we transformed the classic buko pandan dessert into an icy treat: ice cream. The strong-flavored coconut cream is essential in boosting the flavor and texture of the final ice cream while keeping the traditional gulaman and buko strands of the original dessert. A little green food coloring is added, so you know it's a buko pandan dessert and boom: it's an ice cream that's creamier with coconut and buko pandan gulaman strands stirred in to make it more fun to eat.
Here's the recipe:
Homemade Buko Pandan Ice Cream
- Takes 20 minutes plus cooling and freezing
- Makes 6 cups
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1 pandan leaf, tied
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup buko pandan gelatin, cut into thin slices
- Green food coloring (optional)
- 1 In a saucepan, mix coconut cream, condensed milk, and pandan leaf until combined. Heat until pandan leaves are aromatic. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Stir in green food coloring. Transfer to a large bowl. Discard pandan leaf. Chill until cold.
- 2 Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer, add heavy cream and whip to stiff peaks.
- 3 Stir in coconut and buko pandan gelatin into the cooled coconut cream mixture. Gradually fold the heavy cream into the cooled coconut-condensed milk mixture until just combined.
- 4 Transfer the ice cream mixture into 2 aluminum pans (7.5 x 4 inches each) and freeze for at least 6 hours. Scoop into serving bowls and serve immediately.
If you can't get enough buko pandan desserts, here are more to satisfy it: