WATCH: These Mini Doughnuts Are Super Cute!
You'll want more than one piece!
Doughnuts are delicious and fantastic served with a hot beverage, but when these are turned into mini versions which are perfectly bite-sized, it's instantly transformed into dessert offerings which are too cute to not love!
Use a prepared mini doughnut cutter: two circle cutters of different sizes, or even a glass and a knife to create the mini doughnut shapes.
Homemade Mini Doughnuts
- Takes 30 minutes plus proofing
- Makes 4 dozen mini doughnuts
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, more for kneading
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- Oil, for frying
- 1 In the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook, stir together the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. In another bowl, melt the butter with the milk then pour into the dry mixture. Add and knead in the egg when a sticky dough is formed.
- 2 Keep kneading until a stable dough is formed. Transfer to a lightly greased glass bowl and cover. Proof for an hour until it doubles in size. Lightly dust a countertop with flour. Deflate and roll dough out. Cut into small doughnut shapes using a mini doughnut cutter or two circle cutter of different sizes. Transfer onto parchment, and set aside to let proof for 20 more minutes.
- 3 When ready to cook, heat about 2 inches of oil in a deep, heavy saucepan over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Cook doughnuts, turning occasionally, until puffed and golden brown, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer onto paper towels or a wire rack to drain. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Glaze and decorate as desired before serving.
You'll want to check out these gorgeous glaze recipes to make these even more appetizing.