Nothing expresses love better than a hot meal to come home to after a long day. Inflation might have you thinking twice about making your favorite dishes but you can churn out a delicious classic Filipino dish every day of the week with just P2,000 worth of groceries.
We show you exactly how with a grocery list to make these recipes. Bookmark this page so you can refer to it all week.
The Grocery List
- 360 g red onions, P54
- 1 bundle green beans (sitaw), P42
- 400 g green onion P22
- 1 sayote or green papaya, P20/fruit
- 200 g ginger, P33
- 1 piece medium tomato, P20
- 250 g calamansi, P30
- 3 bulbs garlic, P21
- 1 bundle malunggay leaves, P12
- 80 g annatto seeds, P57.50
- 80 g okra, P9.60
- 400 g radish (labanos), P43
- 2 bundles kangkong (water spinach), P44
- 500 g gabi, P51
- 1 198-gram can sliced mushrooms, P32.25
- 1 198-gram can shiitake mushrooms, P39.25
- 2 beef broth cubes, P13.65
- 2 whole chickens, P218 each
- 500 g chicken, tinola cut, P82
- 1 1/4 kilograms chicken breast fillets, P203
- 500 grams pork, sinigang cut (large chunks), P82.50
- 1 large boneless bangus (milkfish), P130
- 250 g pork belly, chopped, P74.25
- 80 ml mayonnaise, P18.50
- 37 g sachet onion powder, P76.25
- 350 ml fish sauce, P17.25
- 500 ml soy sauce, P29.75
- 1 L white vinegar, P30
- 44 g pack sinigang na gabi mix, P22.95
- 1 330-ml can clear soda (7-up or sprite), P23.75
- 400 g pancit canton (egg noodles), P55.75
- 1 stick margarine, P28.75
- 6 eggs, P38
Note: Excluded from this list are staples rice, oil, sugar, salt, and black pepper.
Monday: Arroz Caldo
What’s a good cure to the Monday blues? We think a bowl of comforting rice porridge will. This classic, creamy bowl of rice porridge tastes just like a warm hug.
Tuesday: Filipino Chicken Inasal
You can actually make this classic chicken recipe right at home! Best news yet, you can prep it the night before so you don’t have to rush when it’s time to cook. Don’t forget to cook the rice at the same time so you can dig in ASAP!
Wednesday: Sinigang na Baboy
What Filipino menu would be complete without sinigang? Let this classic version of the sinigang liven you up with its vibrant sour notes!
Sometimes, the simplest recipes can be the most satisfying. Tinola is a simple ginger chicken soup that’s perfect with rice and a side of patis with calamansi.
Friday: Bangus Sisig
Everyone has a soft spot for sisig. Serve it as pulutan with drinks with friends to cap off the day or as is with some steamed white rice with the family.
Saturday: Chicken Adobo
Of course, we didn’t forget this Filipino favorite! We’re saved this dish for a weekend dinner when you can savor it, whether you’re having it for leisurely a dinner or sneaking in a small plate later tonight. It’s true that nothing quite hits the spot like adobo.
Sunday: Easy Pancit Habhab Recipe
Who says you can only have pancit at parties? Try this Quezon province’s version of the pancit that, if eaten as suggested, will certainly have you wondering why you ever needed utensils in the first place.
You really can’t go wrong with this affordable meal plan. The homecooked food you’ll be eating the whole week will not only satisfy you, but you’ll also be satisfying your pockets. So, if you haven’t already, bookmark this page. It’s all you need for a hassle-free week of easy dinners.