WATCH: How To Make Air Fryer Saucy Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are the ultimate party food! It's crisp and sticky at the same time, plus it's both easy and very satisfying to eat.
If you have an air fryer, you know how easy it is to cook chicken. Air fried wings can be as simple as tossing the chicken pieces in salt and pepper, and then letting the air fryer do the rest. However, we found an interesting technique involving baking powder that produces incredibly crisp chicken wings.
Yes, baking powder. This unique ingredient for chicken wings is courtesy of a technique from The Food Lab. The baking powder not only helps dry out the skin but the active ingredient in it produces micro-blisters in the chicken skin which results in super crispy chicken wings. The addition of cornstarch meanwhile adds to the crispness of the chicken.
In short, this recipe makes better air fryer chicken wings.
Unfortunately, this also means that your chicken will stick more readily to the basket you're using. To minimize sticking, lightly oil the basket to prevent this before placing the coated chicken wings in the basket. Then, flip the chicken wings halfway through the air frying time to loosen them before being cooked through. (You can also line it with foil but this prevents the air from freely circulating around the chicken.)
You can stop right when the chicken wings emerge from the air fryer crispy and piping hot. This won't be a proper chicken wing recipe if it doesn't have a wing sauce though! You can serve these wings with a dip on the side or do what we suggest and douse the chicken wings in your signature sauce. We came up with a Korean-inspired chicken wing sauce that's just spicy enough to tweak your taste buds and sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. This sticky sauce might be optional but highly recommended to be tried.
To make these wings extra delicious, air fry the chicken in the wing sauce! It's just another 3 minutes but the wing results are worth every bite! The sugar caramelizes and browns, plus the sauce sticks to the chicken better.
If you want to know how to make better air fryer chicken wings, here's the recipe:
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
- Makes 4 servings
- Takes 30 minutes
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Ingredients
- For the chicken:
- 8 chicken wings, separated, wing tips removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- For the sticky sauce:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or hot pepper paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons water
How To Cook Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
- 1 Pat dry chicken wings. Toss chicken wings in a large bowl with salt, baking powder, and cornstarch.
- 2 Lightly oil the air fryer basket. Place chicken wings in one layer in the basket. Set the air fryer temperature to 180 degrees C and the timer for 10 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and sauté the onion until just softened. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant.
- 4 Add soy sauce and vinegar, and let simmer until the acidity of the vinegar is cooked and evaporated. Stir in brown sugar and sriracha, and cook until just dissolved.
- 5 Add cornstarch slurry and water. Let simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 6 Remove chicken from the air fryer and onto a tray. Line the basket with foil. Return the chicken to the foil-lined basket and pour the sauce over the chicken. Toss to coat.
- 7 Air fry the chicken another 3 minutes or until just caramelized. Remove from the heat and serve while hot.
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.