WATCH: Have You Tried Saba Banana + Cheese Turon?
This is the combo you need to try!
Turon¬†has to be a favorite merienda food. It's filling, it's sweet, and it's crunchy, too. The¬†caramelized sugar that results from cooking the sugar¬†makes it even better.¬†
Many have¬†upgraded the typical¬†
The saba-banana-and-cheese combo¬†is one you need to try¬†the next time you make
Banana Cheese Turon Recipe
- Takes¬†30 minutes plus freezing
- 12 large lumpia wrappers, separated
- 6 saba bananas, sliced in half lengthwise
- 12 sticks
- 1 cup brown sugar, more as needed
- Cooking oil, for shallow frying
- 1 Place 1¬†lumpia¬†wrapper on a clean work surface.
- 2 Roll saba in brown sugar then place it, cut side up, on the bottom third of the¬†lumpia¬†wrapper. Top with a stick of cheese. Fold sides to enclose banana and cheese, roll, and seal end with water. Set aside.
- 3 Repeat for the remaining¬†lumpia¬†wrappers. Freeze for at least 10 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat with enough oil to reach halfway up the sides. Deep fry around 3 to 4¬†
turon¬†until golden brown on all sides. (You can sprinkle more sugar on top of each¬† turon¬†as it fries to caramelize on the wrapper if desired.) Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining¬† turon¬†and serve while hot.
Here are more turon recipes¬†you¬†will want to try:¬†