WATCH: Have You Tried Saba Banana + Cheese Turon?
This is the combo you need to try!
Turon has to be a favorite merienda food. It's filling, it's sweet, and it's crunchy, too. The caramelized sugar that results from cooking the sugar makes it even better.
Many have upgraded the typical
The saba-banana-and-cheese combo is one you need to try the next time you make
Banana Cheese Turon Recipe
- Takes 30 minutes plus freezing
- Makes 12
- 12 large lumpia wrappers, separated
- 6 saba bananas, sliced in half lengthwise
- 12 sticks
- 1 cup brown sugar, more as needed
- Cooking oil, for shallow frying
- 1 Place 1 lumpia wrapper on a clean work surface.
- 2 Roll saba in brown sugar then place it, cut side up, on the bottom third of the lumpia wrapper. Top with a stick of cheese. Fold sides to enclose banana and cheese, roll, and seal end with water. Set aside.
- 3 Repeat for the remaining lumpia wrappers. Freeze for at least 10 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat with enough oil to reach halfway up the sides. Deep fry around 3 to 4
turonuntil golden brown on all sides. (You can sprinkle more sugar on top of each turonas it fries to caramelize on the wrapper if desired.) Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining turonand serve while hot.
Here are more turon recipes you will want to try: