WATCH: How To Make Banapple's Chicken Parmigiano
Juicy chicken breasts, melted cheese, garlicky rice... what more do you need?
There are many dishes that call for unli rice. Whether it's a juicy fried chicken with a delicious gravy or your morning silog meal, you know that it's a winning dish when you need another cup or two of steamed rice.
For those who love Banapple, the Chicken Parmigiano is one meal that screams "More rice!" The dish is a hearty meal composed of a hefty chicken fillet that is first breaded then covered with a savory tomato sauce and finally, topped with mozzarella cheese that's melted under the broiler. This is served with buttered carrot sticks and a satisfying mound of aromatic garlic rice tossed with chopped parsley to give it an even more appetizing look on your plate.
We decided to keep the tomato sauce meatless which nonetheless still delivers the flavor and taste that you're looking for when you dine in Banapple. If you want to make it meaty, however, brown 1/8 kilo ground beef in the pan before adding the tomatoes to make the tomato sauce.
If this hearty chicken plate doesn't make you hungry for more (garlicky) rice, we're not sure what will! Here's the recipe so you can experience it without ordering it for delivery:
Banapple-Style Chicken Parmigiano Recipe
- Takes 60 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
Banapple-Style Chicken Parmigiano Ingredients
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 400-ml can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 pieces chicken breast fillets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup salted butter, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled, halved then cut into large sticks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 4 cups day-old rice, crumbled
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Water, as needed
- Oil, for frying, as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
How To Make Banapple-Style Chicken Parmigiano
- 1 Make the tomato sauce: In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onions and garlic, cooking until just softened. Add dried herbs and mushrooms. Add and crush tomatoes. Season with salt and ground pepper. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, make the chicken: On a cutting board, season chicken breasts with salt and ground black pepper to taste. In one shallow plate, add flour. Lightly season with salt and ground black pepper. In another shallow plate, break then beat eggs. Lightly season with salt and ground pepper. In a third shallow plate, mix Panko and Parmesan cheese. Dredge a chicken breast into the flour, then dip into the egg, then finally pat the Panko mixture into the chicken. Set aside on a baking tray. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- 3 Heat enough oil in a frying pan over medium heat for pan-frying, about 1 cup. Once hot, pan-fry each chicken breast until they turn light golden brown on both sides. Set aside on a rack and repeat with remaining chicken breasts until the chicken is golden brown in color. Set aside or keep warm in a preheated oven.
- 4 Meanwhile, make buttered carrots and garlic rice: Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add salt. Blanch carrots until just tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from water and set aside. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add carrots and cook until edges are beginning to brown. Season lightly with salt and toss. Remove from the pan.
- 5 In the same pan, melt remaining butter, and sauté garlic until lightly toasted. Season lightly with salt. Add cooked rice and toss well. Season again with salt to taste, and add and toss in chopped parsley. Cook until heated through. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- 6 When ready to serve, preheat an oven toaster, an oven, or an air fryer to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C. In a baking tray that fits your appliance, arrange cooked chicken. Place about 1/4 cup marinara sauce then about 1/2 cup grated mozzarella over each chicken breast. Place in the oven and let the cheese melt in the oven, about 5 to 10 minutes. Top each with a pinch of chopped fresh parsley.
- 7 To assemble: Plate chicken then add about 3/4 cup garlic rice beside it. Top rice with parsley and add buttered carrots to finish the plate. Serve while warm.
Chicken fillets are super versatile! If you've got a stash of these chicken cuts, give this recipe a try or even one of these delicious recipes:
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.