WATCH: You Can Make Delicious Brown Sugar Milk Tea Drink At Home
Make this homemade version of the popular milk tea drink!
We¬†get it. The brown sugar milk tea is a delicious drink that is sweeping the metro by storm. Dare to hack your way to making your own brown sugar milk tea at home? This version is just as delicious!¬†
The key to the drink is really the brown sugar syrup.¬†We used muscovado sugar and cooked it into an intense dark brown¬†syrup that may look like and have the texture of¬†molasses but¬†doesn't have the bitterness or tannic quality¬†that molasses sometimes has. Instead, it's got a deep, caramelized sugar flavor that you can only get with natural brown sugar.¬†
Brown Sugar Milk Tea Recipe
- Takes 15 minutes
- Makes 6 servings¬†
- 1 cup muscovado sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 black tea bags
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup¬†fresh milk¬†
- 1 cup black tapioca pearls, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups ice cubes, or as needed
- 1 In a saucepan, mix sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until the mixture thickens. Pour into a squeeze bottle and set aside to cool completely.
- 2 Pour hot water over tea bags in a large pitcher. Steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags, and stir in¬†milk. Add ice, and stir to cool the tea.
- 3 When ready to serve, spoon cooked pearls into¬†a tall glass. Line the sides of a glass with the brown sugar syrup using the squeeze bottle. Pour in prepared milk tea and top with ice as desired. Serve immediately.
Not a fan of black tea or brown sugar? Try¬†these versions too:¬†