How To Make California Maki
These are easy and fun to make with this easy guide.
These California Maki rolls are easy to make at home with the right ingredients. The hardest part is making the rolls!
For all those times when you¬†wanted more than what was served, this recipe¬†can and will¬†satisfy our craving for these addictive crab stick rolls with the sweet¬†mango and crunchy cucumbers on the inside. Called California Maki¬†since it was created in the US state, not in Japan,¬†this fusion sushi recipe is easy to make at home.¬†¬†
Here is the recipe¬†with¬†an easy-to-follow guide on how to roll the California maki using the mat. You can also watch the recipe video so you can see how it's done:¬†¬†
- Takes¬†45 minutes
- Makes 6 servings¬†
- 2 cups Japanese short-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups water, cold
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pieces ripe mango, sliced into strips
- 260 grams kani (crab sticks), cut into two
- 1 piece cucumber, seeds removed with a spoon and julienned
- 1 pack nori¬†sheets (dried seaweed), unseasoned
- masago (orange fish roe), as needed
- 1 Make the sushi rice: Wash the rice and prepare to cook in a rice cooker. Add water then cook until water has evaporated.
- 2 Combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Once the rice is cooked, place it in a small bowl.
- 3 Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and mix using a wooden spoon. While mixing the rice, it is important to use a fan to cool the rice. This makes the rice shiny and it also prevents it from being mushy. Set aside and cover with a damp cloth.
- 4 Prepare the roll: Lay the sushi mat on the table. Cut the nori in half and lay the nori on the bottom part of the mat.
- 5 Lightly wet your fingers and add a small amount of rice. Spread the rice all throughout the nori.
- 6 Sprinkle the masago and spread it evenly. Flip the rice and masago mixture.
- 7 With the rice and masago facing down already, arrange the mango strips, kani, and cucumber at the bottom of the nori.¬†
- 8 To roll, tuck your thumbs under the bamboo mat and use them to lift the mat and rice over the filling, while using your other fingers to hold it in place. Use the mat to continue rolling until you reach the end of the nori.
- 9 Press the mat so it the roll sticks together. Slowly peel away the mat. Use a sharp knife to cut the sushi roll.¬†
You should be excited to make your own version of this Japanese restaurant staple at home!¬†
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group,¬†Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman!¬†Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here!