WATCH: This Creamy Chicken Pastel Tastes Like Home
This classic party recipe has an easy, buttery, and flaky crust.
This is a classic chicken pastel recipe made and served the way it used to be¬†made.¬†
This pie crust-topped creamy chicken pastel recipe is chockful of delicious ingredients that you may be familiar with plus a few you didn't know about.¬†There are carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, peas, chorizo, and chicken chunks which all come together in a harmonious and delicious dish that's simple in its flavor and textures yet stunning when presented in this way.¬†
It's super chunky under this easy-to-make tender, buttery, and flaky crust. If you've ever had a lola, lolo or an¬†elderly¬†relative who loved to cook for family handaans,¬†this is one recipe that they may have made, complete with the buttery pie crust on top.¬†
Classic Chicken Pastel Recipe¬†
- Takes 40 minutes¬†
- Makes 8 servings
- For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided, more for kneading
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons butter, diced, kept in freezer
- 3 tablespoons ice water, more as needed
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon fresh milk, for egg wash
- For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 4 chorizo de bilbao, cubed small
- 500 grams chicken breast fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cubed
- 3 large potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup water chestnuts, halved
- 1 piece chicken bouillon cube
- 2¬†tablespoons all-purpose flour¬†
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup whole button mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose cream
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
1 Make Crust: In a food processor, pulse together 1 cup of the flour, salt, sugar, and butter until the mixture resembles peas. Add in the remaining flour and pulse until it resembles crumbs. Moisten mixture with water. Pulse until the mixture just comes together into a dough. Transfer to a lightly floured countertop. (Mixture will look dry and crumbly but will stick together when pressed squeezed.) Working quickly using your hands, press dough together and then into a rectangular shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until ready to use.
- 2¬†Make the filling: In a large saut√© pan over medium heat, melt butter then heat oil. Once hot, saut√© chorizo until pieces start to brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Saut√© onion and then garlic until softened. Lightly season mixture with salt and ground pepper.
- 3 Lightly season chicken cubes with salt and ground pepper and toss to coat. Add chicken cubes and saut√© until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add carrots, potatoes, and water chestnuts. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the mixture. Pour in the water and add the chicken bouillon cube. Stir and then bring to a boil then simmer until mixture has thickened and the potatoes are just tender. Taste and season as desired. Return chicken to the pan together with mushrooms and peas, and simmer until heated through. Stir in cream. Remove from heat and ladle into a glass baking dish. Set aside.
- 4 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 5 For the crust,¬†whisk together egg and milk for the egg wash. Set aside.
- 6 Generously sprinkle a clean surface with flour. Roll out dough until it's roughly the size of the baking dish. Cut dough a little bigger than needed to cover the top of the pie. Make steam holes or slits on the dough with a fork or a sharp knife. (This will allow steam to escape as it bakes.)
- 7 Cover the baking dish with the scored crust and press the tines of a fork to seal. Brush crusts with egg wash. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20¬†to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.