WATCH: How to Make Garlic Pasta with Spanish Sardines Recipe
The simple flavors of sardines, basil, and garlic meld beautifully in this easy pasta recipe.
Bottled Spanish sardines can be used in so many ways. Adding it to a pasta dish easily elevates your usual weekday meal. You can easily omit the basil and chili flakes in this recipe but either way, the simple flavors of sardines, garlic, and herbs meld beautifully in this easy pasta recipe.
Garlic Pasta with Spanish Sardines Recipe
- Serves 4
- Prep time 5 minutes
- Cooking time 15 minutes
Garlic Pasta with Spanish Sardines Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Japanese breadcrumbs
- 1 225 gram bottle bottled Spanish sardines, oil reserved
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- juice from half a lemon (or to taste)
- chili flakes, to taste or optional
- 1/8 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 300 grams Cappelini pasta, cooked al dente
- handful of basil, fried (to serve)
How To Make Garlic Pasta with Spanish Sardines
- 1 Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- 2 In a pan over medium heat, sauté garlic until slightly brown. Add breadcrumbs and mix. Set aside.
- 3 Using the same pan, add sardines with oil. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add lemon juice, chili flakes, and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4 Add butter and thyme. Mix well. Add cooked pasta and toss until well incorporated.
- 5 To serve, top with sardines breadcrumbs mixture, fried basil (optional), and chili flakes (optional). Serve.