WATCH: How to Make Hainanese Chicken Rice
Don't forget the grated ginger with oil!
This Hainanese chicken rice recipe is an easy-to-make chicken dish with vibrant flavors!
- Cooking time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 whole spring chicken, cleaned, rinsed
- 1/2 cup ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1/4 cup garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 pandan leaf, tied
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Hoisin sauce, to serve
- Water, as needed
- Rock salt, to taste
- 1 Bring a pot of water to the boil. Remove excess fat from the legs and neck area. Set aside.
- 2 Using long tongs, place whole chicken in boiling water, lift out of the water, then return to the boiling water again. Cover, turn off heat, and let sit 30 minutes or until fully cooked.
- 3 Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool. Once cool, brush skin with sesame oil. Let broth continue to simmer and reduce.
- 4 Meanwhile, in a wok over low heat, add chicken fat. Cook until fat is rendered from the chicken pieces and is browned. Remove crisp fat from wok. Add ginger and garlic, and sauté. Season with a little salt, and stir until fragrant but not browned. Reserve half as dipping sauce. Add rinsed rice and cook until any water from the rice has evaporated and rice is translucent. Transfer to a rice cooker. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water, season with 1 tsp. salt, and add tied pandan leaf. Cover, turn the rice cooker on, and let cook. Fluff rice once cooked and cover again until rice is no longer wet.
- 5 To serve, slice cooled chicken into serving pieces on cucumber slices. Remove bones if desired. Drizzle chicken lightly with soy sauce. Serve chicken with grated ginger in oil, hoisin sauce, and steamed rice.
Tip: Melt chicken fat taken from chicken to use in the chicken rice.