WATCH: How To Make Jollibee's Honey Beef Rice
That's not a bistek bowl you see! This appetizing beef rice bowl is a Jollibee hack! You might know it as the Jollibee Honey Beef Rice, and it is beef and onions slathered in a sweet and savory sauce made extra delicious with honey. (Btw, we used this honey from Bukidnon for the sauce!)
The sauce is the winning ingredient in this simple dish: it's not too sweet, not too salty, and the onions deliver a delicious flavor that only it can give a dish. We sliced them into rings but you can totally chop them up instead to really mimic the bowl's OG look.
If you missed this bowl when it was on the menu, you should definitely try this! This beef bowl is pretty easy to make at home, but it does require quick cooking skills to ensure the beef doesn't toughen up before you remove it from the heat. This is where preparation is key to the dish!
However, if you do get tough beef, don't fret! Simply tenderize it by adding more water and simmering the beef until softened. Do this before adding the cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce or you might need to add more slurry since cornstarch tends to lose its thickening powers when simmered for too long. The good news is that adding more slurry to the dish won't affect the overall dish.
Curious to try this fast food recipe hack version at home? Here's the recipe!
Jollibee-Style Honey Beef Rice Recipe
- Takes 20 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
Jollibee-Style Honey Beef Rice Ingredients
- 250 grams beef rib eye, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 medium white onions, sliced thinly into rings
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Steamed rice, to serve
How To Make Jollibee-Style Honey Beef Rice
- 1 Season beef with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Set aside.
- 2 In a wok or large pan over Medium-High heat, add the oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent and softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3 Reheat oil in the pan over High heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add the beef. Stir fry until the beef is almost cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes while stirring. Lower the heat to Medium heat, and add soy sauce, vinegar, and honey. Stir quickly to coat the beef. Stir together cornstarch and water, and add to the wok. Stir, tossing until the sauce is thickened and the beef is coated.
- 4 Return onions to the wok and toss ingredients together. Season to taste if desired. Serve immediately on top of bowls of steamed rice.
Ravenous for more Jollibee-inspired recipes? Try these!
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.