WATCH: We Tried This KFC Fried Chicken Recipe
One of our favorite fast-food fried chicken has to be the KFC original fried chicken. We even tried and tested if the ingredients of an allegedly leaked original KFC recipe make delicious fried chicken.
We Try The Original KFC 11 Herbs and Spices Recipe
We share with you that recipe, so you can find out for yourself if the "11 secret herbs and spices" in the original are indeed the flavors that make you crave this famous fast-food chicken place. We even show you another way to fry the chicken so you can get that signature look!
But the question is: does it taste the same as the KFC chicken that we love and enjoy here? It's a valid question because, unlike American cuisine, local tastes run stronger and more flavorful, and that essential gravy recipe is definitely required because we pour this over the rice as well as the chicken.
How To Hack The Recipe For the Pinoy Market
This usually means the recipe has been hacked to cater to the local taste. We discover that while the original may be delicious for the American market, for the Pinoy market, it's lacking in flavor overall. What do you need to do to make it taste more like the Filipino style? Here are the two main tweaks we suggest you try:
- • Use only 1 cup flour to make sure the seasonings are stronger, tastier! (Don't worry! You'll have plenty leftover for the gravy!)
- • Use a seasoned chicken broth, not plain water, to make the gravy more malinamnam! (We tried Magic Sarap and a Knorr chicken stock cube, and both tasted better than using just plain water!)
Ready to see if the allegedly original KFC recipe is something you want to try? Here's the recipe:
KFC-Style Fried Chicken Recipe
- Takes 30 minutes plus marinating
- Makes 4 servings
KFC-Style Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 2 cups fresh milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 whole eggs
- 700 grams chicken pieces
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of thyme
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1/3 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil, for frying
- 1 1/4 cups water
How To Make KFC-Style Fried Chicken
- 1 Mix the milk, vinegar, and eggs in a large bowl.
- 2 Add and marinate the chicken in the milk mixture for 30 minutes up to an hour.
- 3 In another bowl, mix the flour and the 11 herbs and spices. (Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the chicken seasoning flour for the gravy.) Coat the chicken with the flour mixture then set aside.
- 4 Heat enough oil in a pressure cooker to fill it with 2-inches worth of oil. Once hot, add about three coated chicken pieces. Close and lock the lid and let the pressure build up inside until the whistle begins to sound. Pressure cook the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and carefully release the pressure according to the pot instructions. Once completely released, unlock the lid and check that the chickens are golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pot onto a rack over paper towels. Reheat the oil and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- 5 To make the gravy: Use the same oil from cooking the chicken in the pressure cooker for the gravy. Add about 2 tablespoons chicken cooking oil to the pan. Add 2 tablespoons chicken seasoning flour, and stir until flour is cooked and no longer smells like raw flour. Add water, stirring vigorously to prevent lumps. Season with salt and ground pepper to taste.
- 6 Serve warm with the gravy.
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.