Have you ever watched one of your favorite artistas and learned what their favorite food is? They might have described it in such a way that makes you want to try it yourself!
That’s what Food From The Stars, our newest video series, is all about! For the first episode, we take on Bea Alonzo’s Pinoy Spaghetti. Alonzo is a well-loved actor and recently started her own vlog featuring her home and farm. In one of the videos, she shows us how to make her stepdad’s Pinoy spaghetti in celebration of her family visiting her.
What makes her stepdad’s Pinoy spaghetti recipe deliciously unique? The first is that it’s got oyster sauce. The umami-packed ingredient is a surprising addition to a spaghetti sauce that normally is just seasoned with salt and pepper. Not only that, Alonzo loves her food when it’s “maanghang” which explains why she adds teaspoon after teaspoon of red chili flakes to the spaghetti sauce.
She has more tips to share when she made the recipe and we made sure to heed them in every step of making her recipe. Here are all of Bea’s tips when she cooks her Pinoy spaghetti recipe:
- Cook onions first so it caramelizes and the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Always add salt and ground black pepper after every step.
- Add dried basil, dried oregano, and other different spices to your taste like she sometimes does.
- Substitute tomato paste instead of the two kinds of tomato sauces used in the recipe if desired.
- You can use this ground meat mixture as a giniling na ulam with carrots, potatoes, and a little tomato sauce. (Giniling is one of Bea’s favorite ulams. Comfort food!)
- Don’t add sugar since the Filipino-style sauce is already sweet.
Care to try this version of the sweet-style Pinoy spaghetti? Here’s the recipe:
Bea Alonzo’s Pinoy Spaghetti Recipe
- Takes 30 minutes plus cooling and chilling
- Makes 8 servings
Bea Alonzo’s Pinoy Spaghetti Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 1/2 kilo ground beef
- 1/2 kilo ground pork
- 2 teaspoon red chili flakes, more to taste
- 8 pieces regular hot dogs, sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 500-gram pack Filipino-style spaghetti sauce
- 1 500-gram pack Italian-style spaghetti sauce
- 1 440-block quick-melting cheese, grated, divided
- Salt, to taste and as needed
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 500-gram pack spaghetti
- Water, for cooking spaghetti
* Ingredients are approximate measurements
How To Make Bea Alonzo’s Pinoy Spaghetti
- 1 Bring a pot of salted water to a boil to cook pasta noodles. Cook pasta according to package directions but subtract 1 minute from recommended time or until cooked al dente. Remove pasta from the water, rinse in cold water, and set aside if not serving immediately.
- 2 In a large pot pan over medium heat, heat enough oil to coat the bottom. Cook onions until softened. Add garlic. Season with a little salt and ground black pepper.
- 3 Increase heat to high. Add ground pork and beef. Again, season with a little salt and ground black pepper.
- 4 Add red chili flakes to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5 Add hot dogs.
- 6 Add oyster sauce (or soy sauce if desired). Season again with salt and pepper.
- 7 Add tomato spaghetti sauces. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
- 8 Add half the cheese and stir until melted. Reserve remaining cheese for topping.
- 9 Before serving, top cooked spaghetti with pasta sauce and cheese. Mix only when ready to serve.
Want to try other recipes that your favorite celebrity love to eat and make? We have recipes you should check out!
Food From The Stars features dishes from our favorite celebrities and public figures that we think you should recreate yourself at home.