WATCH: How To Make Tofu Sisig
Sisig lovers, don't fret. You can still eat your favorite pulutan with this healthy twist.
This is how you can make your favorite sisig a little healthier: use tofu!
Yes, it's delicious like you would expect sisig to be. Instead of meat, there is more flavor from the sauce, especially in the tiny squares of tofu itself. The tangy, salty, and spicy sauce that's simmered with the tofu is absorbed by the crisp
What you can expect from this meat-free version is an explosion of flavor in every tofu bite.
Tofu Sisig Recipe
- Takes 20 minutes
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 600-gram pack tofu, drained and cut into cubes
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 green chilies, sliced diagonally
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cane vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil, for frying
- 1 Fry until crispy and golden brown on all sides. Set aside.
- 2 In the same pan, add onion, chilies, red bell pepper, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Season with pepper. Simmer again.
- 3 Add the fried tofu back into the pan. Stir to coat and cook until heated through. Serve while hot.
Just in case you can't get enough tofu sisig recipes, here are two more tofu sisig recipes that will make you rethink that the tofu and the sisig cannot possibly get any better:
Love tofu? Here are more tofu recipes to satisfy your meatless meal: