How To Easily Roast Garlic In The Microwave
This is the quick hack you've been waiting for.
Roasted garlic is a delicious pairing to many dishes. These roasted heads of garlic transform the sharp, raw bite of garlic into morsels that taste and feel like butter but with the milder taste of cooked garlic. You can easily mash these onto toast for garlic bread, stir the softened cloves into hummus or mashed potatoes for garlic mashed potatoes, or smear these onto bagels, steaks, and even crackers for a delightful snack.
Roasting garlic however takes some time to roast in the oven. That's why this microwaving tip from Real Simple is a brilliant hack for those who love roasted garlic but are too impatient to roast it in the oven!
Here's how it's done:
- 1 Slice the top off 1 head of garlic to reveal the cloves.
- 2 Place in a small, deep microwave-safe bowl.
- 3 Season with salt, ground pepper, and a good amount of olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons water.
- 4 Cover with plastic wrap.
- 5 Microwave on Medium power (50%) for 6 minutes until soft and tender.
- 6 Let garlic stand for a few minutes before unwrapping.
A lot of people suggest you check the garlic after 5 minutes or even 3 minutes to avoid burning the garlic. Just like many ovens, microwave ovens are also not made the same, and power settings may differ from brand to brand.
You can watch how it's done successfully here:
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.