3 Nonstick Pan Myths You Should Stop Worrying About
You can stop worrying and just cook.
Nonstick pans are essential in every kitchen. Even commercial kitchens cannot do without this special pan. Only on a nonstick surface will make pancakes become perfectly browned all over, and while you can certainly fry an egg in a¬†normal pan, only the nonstick can truly assure that sticking will not be a problem when cooking the perfect sunny side-up egg.
However, there are some beliefs circulating about non-stick pans that you need to stop worrying about. While there is some truth to some of these, there are some which you need to stop believing in, so you can enjoy using your non-stick pan without any worries.
Myth: The best nonstick pans are expensive.
Truth: The nonstick coating on any pan will not last, so it's actually more practical to not invest in an expensive nonstick pan because it will be replaced sooner or later.¬†That's because, when it comes to non-stick pans, scratches are inevitable, no matter how careful you are with your nonstick pan. So while buying a quality pan is always good practice, there's no need to spend more than you can afford. Taking care of your nonstick pan will lengthen its life, not preserve it.¬†
Myth: The flaking nonstick coating will poison me if I accidentally eat it.
Truth: The nonstick coating of old was easy to scratch off the pan, but manufacturers have now become more proficient in bonding the non-stick coating to the metal pan. If you're still worried about the flakes, swap out your old pan for a newer, harder-to-scratch nonstick pan.
Myth: The fumes¬†from the nonstick coating are dangerous!
Truth: It's true that fumes are not a good thing when it's being emitted by your pan, but here's the good news: neither your stove nor your oven can reach the temperature that's high enough to cause the nonstick coating to emit those toxic fumes.
In fact, your pan will begin to smoke at a lower temperature before those toxic fumes can be emitted. The fact that your pan is already being to smoke, which happens around 400 degrees F/205 degrees C, is already your warning that your pan is too hot. You will most probably remove it from the heat before it gets any hotter and so, it's unlikely that¬†it will reach the temperature when it begins emitting¬†the fumes. (Only when your pan reaches 600 degrees F/315 degrees C and up will the nonstick coating begin to degrade and smoke, generating the fumes you're worried about inhaling.)