One Week of Budget Meals: 4 People, 3 Meals a Day for P5000
It's possible! We rounded up a whole week's worth of budget recipes for you.
Cooking for a family isn't easy-you have to think about your budget, your schedule (and everyone else's!), and a good, healthy balance in the dishes that you cook. Don't sweat it: that's what we're here for!
Here is a handy guide to cooking one whole week's worth of dishes, from breakfast all the way through dinner, on a budget of P5000 for 4 people. With careful planning and smart grocery shopping, it's 100% possible!
Every lunch dish on this list is baon-friendly, and every dinner dish has an accompanying side dish of vegetables or has a good amount of veggies in it already. We compiled everything into one grocery list with all the prices in detail. This will help you get a more or less accurate breakdown of your costs, because ingredient prices may vary among different groceries. Let's get cooking!
Breakfast: Ham and Egg Pandesal Sandwich
Crazy Mondays will most likely need breakfast on-the-go.
Ground pork is both affordable and easy to cook! Ask for the lean versions from your grocery butcher.
Dinner: Roast Chicken with Squash
This fuss-free dish lets you cook your chicken and squash at the same time. Just place them in the oven!
Looking for a sweet way to start your morning?
Lunch: Pinoy Bistek
This famous Filipino favorite keeps well in your lunch box!
Dinner: Pork and Potato Stew and Ginisang Pechay
Pair this pork stew with lots of hot rice.
Breakfast: Beef Tapa
Don't forget the fried eggs!
Lunch: Pork and Scallion Stir-Fry
Pork tenderloin is a cheap cut that cooks beautifully. Use them for quick stir-fries!
Dinner: Ginataang Tanigue and Adobong Kangkong
Tanigue is delicious cooked in coconut milk! You can get fillets from the supermarket.
Breakfast: Pepper and Tomato Omelet
Eggs, anyone? Add bell peppers and tomatoes into your basic breakfast omelet.
Lunch: Chicken ala King
You can pair this with either rice or pasta!
Dinner: Calamansi Fish Fillet and Gising-Gising with Kangkong
Fish cooks quickly and is perfect for rushed weeknight dinners.
Breakfast: Pork Adobo Flakes
Use leftover adobo to make this delicious breakfast!
Lunch: Kielbasa Sausage Stir-Fry
This stir-fry is a mix of savory sausages and sweet peppers!
Dinner: Pan-Fried Chicken Thighs with Pechay
Indulge in delicious fried chicken, but don't forget your veggies!
- Shopping List + Cost Breakdown:
- 500 g ground beef = P 205
- 500 g lean beef = P 315.25
- 1.2 kg ground pork = P234
- 500 g chicken thigh fillet = P 132.5
- 3 steaks tanigue = P 178
- 500 g kielbasa sausage = P 211.25
- 500 g chicken thighs, bone-in = P 161
- 1 kg beef sirloin = P 511.25
- 100 g thick-cut bacon = P 85.25
- 400 g cream dory fillets = 91
- 4 quarters chicken legs = P 226.95
- 1 kg pork kasim = P 240
- 400 g pork tenderloin = P108
- 1 cup ham = P 20.50
- 5 heads of garlic = P 36.42
- 1 dozen onions = P 118.80
- 1 carrot = P 16.25
- ½ cup calamansi = P 16.26
- 5 tomatoes = P 23.94
- 5 tablespoons ginger = P 5
- 1 ¼ cup scallions = P 21
- 1 kg pechay = P 75
- 2 tablespoons cilantro = P 33.50
- 3 bundles kangkong = P42
- 300 g squash = P 38
- 5 bell peppers = P89.25
- 2 cups potatoes = P42.30
- 2 green finger chilies = P 14.64
- ¾ cup button mushrooms = P 43.30
- 6 eggs = P 41.25
- 1 block kesong puti = P 90.5
- 1 cup coconut milk = P 86.25
- 1 cup coconut cream = P41.95
- 250-ml all-purpose cream = P 95.20
- 1 200-gram pack tomto sauce = P 28.50
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce = P 41.25
- ¼ cup mayonnaise = P 28.5
- 6 pieces pandesal = P 30
- ½ cup malagkit rice = P24.50
- Pantry Staples:
- 1 liter fish sauce = P 51.25
- 5 g bay leaf = P 71
- 400 g cornstach = P 37
- 20 g sesame oil = P 91
- 1.8 liters vegetable oil = P 244.90
- 500 g salt = P 11.5
- 25 g ground black pepper = P 16
- 20 g dried rosemary = P 24.50
- 500 g all-purpose flour = P 48.95
- 20 g garlic powder = P 22.50
- 1 liter vinegar = P 32.25
- 26 g cayenne = P 52.75
- 1 stick butter = P 53
- 9oz oyster sauce = P 90
- 250 ml oyster sauce = P 120.25
- 1 kg rice = P 98.50
- Total: P 4,979.46