WATCH: You Can Make This Easy Recipe For Paella Negra For Noche Buena
The hardest part of this dish? Waiting for it to cook.
Paella is really just a fancy term for a rice dish made for a crowd. It's a celebratory dish, and this easy recipe for a Paella Negra is one you can certainly serve for a special occasion such as Noche Buena. The ingredients are easily accessible and stunningly delicious. The black squid ink is the ingredient that takes this paella recipe from ordinary to worthy of being the main attraction of your buffet table.
You can find squid at Chef's Nook if you find the squid ink sacs have burst prior to buying the squid (Chef's Nook is located at 220 Pilar Street, Mandaluyong City).
Paella Negra Recipe
- Takes 1 hour 40 minutes
- Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 small white onions, chopped
1 kilosquid, medium-sized, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 5 to 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons squid ink extracted and reserved
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 small red bell peppers, roasted, cored, and sliced into strips
- 12 string beans,
- 1/4 cup microgreens or sprouts
- 2 lemons, sliced into wedges
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, sliced into wedges
- For Aligue Sauce:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 cup crab fat (aligue)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream, fresh (kakang gata)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
- 1 Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 15-inch paella pan. Sauté garlic and onions until soft and golden.
- 2 Add squid and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute.
- 3 Add rice, stock, wine, seasonings, basil, and squid ink. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, adding more stock, if necessary.
- 4 Make the aligue sauce: Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté garlic and onions. Add crab fat; simmer for 5 minutes. Add coconut cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For a thicker consistency, add dissolved cornstarch and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
- 5 When rice is almost tender, remove from oven. Allow
to rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove foil and top with bell peppers, string beans, microgreens, lemon wedges, and hard-boiled egg. Serve aligue sauce on the side.
No celebration is complete without a rice dish. Serve this easy recipe for Paella Negra for Noche Buena or Media Noche and you have a stunning dish to wow your friends and family.
Not a fan of squid ink? Here are other options you should consider: