WATCH: You'll Want This Garlicky Buttered Chicken For Dinner
This roast chicken is infused with garlic and butter-basted as it roasts.
This roast chicken recipe is infused with garlic on two fronts: it's first rubbed all over with smashed garlic ensuring that it flavors the entire chicken and then it is roasted with an entire head of garlic with it.
It is also flavored with butter as it roasts in the oven with the garlic. What you get is an intensely garlicky chicken that's perfectly browned in the oven.
Get the recipe here:
Buttery Garlic Roast Chicken Recipe
- Takes 90 minutes
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 1.7-kilogram whole jumbo chicken, patted dry
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated
- 2 medium red onions, quartered
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Gravy, to serve (optional)
- Oil, as needed
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Brush a 10-inch cast iron pan with oil and place in the oven.
- 2 Meanwhile, place chicken on a chopping board. Brush the chicken skin with half the melted butter, and season generously with salt and pepper. Rub the smashed garlic all over the chicken. Remove or brush off as much of the garlic as possible. (The garlic will burn in the oven as it roasts.)
- 3 Place chicken into the hot cast iron pan together with garlic cloves and red onions, and turn down the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Roast in the preheated oven for 75 minutes, brushing the skin and with the drippings and any remaining melted butter in 15-minute
intervals,until browned on all sides and juices run clear when pierced. (Brush any garlic off the chicken while basting.)
- 4 Remove from oven, and set aside to rest for at least 10 minutes before carving. Serve with lemon wedges and gravy, as desired, on the side.
It's easy to master the roast chicken! Just season generously with your preferred seasoning (just salt and pepper will do!) and let the oven do the cooking for you. See below for more roast chicken recipes to inspire you to use the oven for every special occasion: