WATCH: This Is The Easiest Way To Make Chicken Relleno
This is an ode to your mother's version, complete with raisins, chorizo, and cheese, but without the hard work.
Love chicken relleno but don't like the effort that comes along with it? No need to debone a whole chicken! We use filleted chicken breasts to make this chicken relleno easier to make and just as delicious as the traditional stuffed whole chicken version. It's perfect for the next family party!
- Easy Chicken Relleno
- Takes 75 minutes plus chilling
- Makes 6 servings
- 1/8 kilo (125 grams) ground chicken
- 2 slices sweet ham, chopped
- 1 small chorizo de bilbao, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1/4 cup processed cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 large egg, beaten
- 2 whole bone-in chicken breasts, skin on, filleted whole
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Oil, as needed
- 1 Prepare a steamer.
- 2 In a medium bowl, mix ground chicken, ham, chorizo, pickle relish, cheese, raisins, and egg together. Season mixture with salt and ground pepper to taste. Cook a small amount of the mixture to check seasoning and adjust as needed. Set aside.
- 3 Lay plastic wrap over a chopping board. Place a whole chicken breast fillet on the plastic, skin side down, and fold over the plastic wrap to cover. Using a meat mallet, flatten the whole chicken breast, focusing on the thicker areas to even out the thickness of the chicken. Remove plastic wrap and replace with foil.
- 4 Place flattened chicken breast onto the foil. Season with salt and ground pepper on both sides. Scoop half the ground chicken mixture onto the center of the chicken. Roll the chicken breast lengthwise encasing the chicken roll in the foil. Repeat with remaining chicken breast and ground chicken mixture.
- 5 Place foil-wrapped chicken rolls into the prepared steamer. Steam for 30 minutes. Remove from steamer. Let cool and then chill until ready to cook and serve.
- 6 When ready to cook, heat a frying pan over medium heat with enough oil for pan frying. Remove foil from chicken rolls and fry until the skin is crisp and the chicken is heated through, turning the chicken as needed to brown evenly on all sides. Remove from the heat and let rest slightly before slicing. Serve while hot with a chicken gravy on the side.