12 Other Nifty Uses for Salt
Besides being the oldest seasoning in the world, see what food miracles a pinch of salt can do
Table salt or refined salt can do wonders in the kitchen, here's how:
1. Sprinkle salt over salad greens before serving to prevent wilting.
2. Test the freshness of eggs by placing them on a bowl of saltwater—fresh ones sink, old ones float.
3. When boiling eggs, add a pinch of salt to the water to keep the shells intact. And the saltier the water when cooking eggs, faster it boils.
4. When making whipped cream, adding a dash of salt before whisking speeds up whipping. This also works with eggs, it makes fluffier scrambled eggs.
5. When washing vegetables, add salt to the vegetable wash for easy dirt removal.
6. After peeling fruits, soak them into a bowl of water with a pinch of salt to prevent browning.
7. Rubbing salt on a griddle prevents pancakes from stinking.
8. When cooking with a double boiler, adding a pinch of salt to the water makes food cook faster.
9. Adding a tiny pinch of salt to tea enhances flavor.
10. A little salt makes gelatin set faster.
11. Make milk stay fresh longer with a dash of salt.
12. A little salt in coffee and cocoa removes the bitterness.