How To Choose The Perfect Bangus
Find the perfect big-bellied bangus for your dish.
Your dish is only as good as your ingredients! When looking for the perfect bangus (milkfish), there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Did you know that there's a specific bangus breed that's hailed to be the tastiest? Do you know how to spot a big belly without having to open up a fish? These are just a few things you absolutely must know when finding the perfect bangus.
1 Go For Dagupan Bangus
The tastiest and juiciest
Good news is that you don't have to go all the way to Dagupan just to be sure of your
These are the physical characteristics of Dagupan
- Its lower tail is shorter than its upper tail.
- It has a short head and a short mouth.
- It has a protruding stomach (which also indicates a fat belly!).
If you are buying deboned, packaged
2 How To Find A Big Belly
The best part of
How can you tell a fat belly from one that isn't? Look for a protruding belly, then to make sure it isn't all air, pinch the belly with your thumb and forefinger. It should feel very firm.
3 Choose The Right Size
Now, the right size of
For stuffed fish recipes like
If you're making Spanish-style milkfish, use smaller fish. It won't matter if it's too bony as the recipe will call for pressure cooking, which will soften the fishbones to the point that it's soft and edible. A smaller size will also help if you are planning to seal it in a jar.
4 Check For Freshness
Remember the rules when buying fresh fish in general. The fresher, the better! If you can buy your milkfish while it's alive, that's even better but in any case, these are what you should check:
- Check the gills: it should be bright and red.
- Check the eyes: it should be clear, not cloudy or bloodshot.
- Check the smell: it shouldn't smell foul and should have a clean, ocean-like smell.
- Check the body: the fins and tail should be intact, scales should not be falling off, and shouldn't have signs that it has been mishandled or aged.
With these tips in mind, your