You Can Make Easy Whipped Cream With These 3 Ingredients
No whipped cream? Use this easy hack to make it from scratch.
Whipping cream is one of those ingredients that is not¬†a kitchen ingredient staple. While it's available, it costs more than¬†the all-purpose cream that is more widely available. However, all-purpose cream doesn't whip as light and fluffy as you would wish it would compared to real whipping cream.¬† ¬†
What do you do if you need whipping cream? For those who¬†need whipped cream but¬†can't find it in the stores, why not make it yourself?¬†¬†
We learned¬†this neat hack for a whipped "cream" from Gemma Stafford on Bigger, Bolder, Baking which she learned from The Simple Cooking Channel where he made it using fresh full-cream milk. You just need 3 basic ingredients: fresh milk, gelatin, and powdered sugar.¬†
Here's how she did it:
- 1.¬†Dissolve 10 grams¬†powdered unflavored gelatin into 1/4 cup¬†cold¬†water¬†until bloomed, about 5 minutes.
- 2.¬†Melt the gelatin over medium heat then set aside.
- 3.¬†Combine 1 cup fresh full-cream milk and the melted gelatin.
- 4.¬†Whisk in 1/2 tablespoon¬†vanilla essence and 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- 5.¬†Chill this mixture for 1 hour,¬†whisking the mixture every 20 minutes.¬†
- 6.¬†Once completely chilled,¬†whip using an electric mixer until fluffy.¬†
Remember: This mixture, just like regular whipping cream, needs to be cold to be whipped until fluffy. The result? Whipped cream that is fluffy that whips well and looks pretty close to the real thing. It may look and taste a little different¬†from what the real thing is like because of the dark-colored vanilla added but the result is unmistakable.¬†
For this¬†recipe, she suggests¬†some easy tweaks and adjustments for those who are vegan or need dairy-free¬†whipping cream or who just don't have the specific ingredients. Here are her tweaks:¬†
- ‚ÄĘ Use milk instead of water to bloom the gelatin so the¬†whipped cream doesn't taste diluted.
- ‚ÄĘ Use powdered agar-agar or gulaman for the gelatin.¬†
- ‚ÄĘ Microwave or use a water bath to melt the gelatin.
- ‚ÄĘ¬†Replace the full-cream milk with any nut milk or dairy milk alternative.
- ‚ÄĘ Skip the vanilla extract unless desired.¬†
What we love about this recipe is that if you use powdered¬†gulaman, the whipped cream that this recipe makes is a stable whipped cream for our tropical weather! It won't melt as easily as whipped cream will.¬†This whipped "cream" is great for no-bake dessert recipes that need whipped cream as a topping for their desserts but the one thing that Gemma stresses is that this will not freeze well. That means this is not a good substitute for cream if you're making homemade ice cream.¬† ¬†¬†
If you keep a stock of your no-bake dessert supplies, you won't need to buy whipped cream if this trick is something you don't mind making from now on.¬†
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group,¬†Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club,¬†to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman!¬†Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here!