WATCH: How To Make Tuna + Vegetable Frittata
Try this easy canned tuna recipe if you’re going meat-free this Lent.
Filipinos have long viewed Lent as a time for prayer and quiet reflection. Part of this age-old tradition is abstaining from pork, beef, and chicken on certain days throughout this period.
If you have been trying to avoid meat this Lent and are looking for dishes to cook at home beyond the usual fried fish and stir-fried vegetables, try your hand at making this frittata dish.
This recipe for a tuna and vegetable frittata calls for a variety of vegetables and San Miguel Del Mar Tuna Chunks in Vegetable Oil, all enveloped in a soft and tasty egg base.
Alternatively, you can use San Miguel Del Mar Tuna Chunks in Water when you make your frittata for a lighter taste.
Watch this video and check out the full recipe below to find out how you can make Tuna + Vegetable Frittata.
Tuna + Vegetable Frittata
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Ingredients for Tuna & Vegetable Frittata:
6 medium eggs
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or fine iodized salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 pieces basil leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
2 185-gram cans San Miguel Del Mar Tuna Chunks in Vegetable Oil, drained
1 medium red bell pepper, cubed into 3/4-inch cubes
1 medium green bell pepper, cubed into 3/4-inch cubes
1/4 cup onion leeks, green part, sliced
5 to 6 pieces cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
12 pieces black olives, halved
Chopped parsley, as needed, for garnish
How to make Tuna & Vegetable Frittata:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, season with salt and pepper, and add basil leaves.
3. In an 8”- or 9”-inch oven-safe pan over medium heat, heat olive oil and butter just until the butter is melted.
4. Add onions and sauté until softened.
5. Add San Miguel Del Mar Tuna Chunks in Vegetable Oil. Stir for 3 seconds.
6. Add bell peppers and onion leeks, and continue sautéing for a few seconds.
7. Add egg mixture, and stir lightly to combine.
8. Cover and cook for another 2 minutes. (The top will still be soft at this point.)
9. Remove the pan from heat.
10. Top the frittata with cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and black olives.
11. Bake the frittata in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the top is set.
12. Take the frittata out of the oven, and garnish with chopped parsley.
13. Slice and serve while warm.