Ube + Cheese Fans, This Maja Blanca Recipe Is Made For You!
Try a different version of maja blanca for merienda.
Maja Blanca is one of those classic well-loved Pinoy desserts. Its gelatin-like texture, coconut flavors, crunchy corn kernels, and the sweet latik topping makes it too addictive for just one bite. The charm of the maja blanca is that its simplicity leaves room to be creative which will make it more unique.
For those still enjoying the ube-cheese trend, home cook Concepcion Alibar (Sweet Mom on YouTube) created the perfect maja blanca for you! Her special Cheesy Ube Maja is made with two layers of the maja blanca, one in its classic flavor and the other in ube. Instead of latik, the Cheesy Ube Maja is topped with loads of grated cheese.
Want to make this ube-fied, cheesy maja blanca? Here's the recipe:
Cheesy Ube Maja Blanca Recipe
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 400-ml cans coconut milk
- 1 390-gram can condensed milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 425-gram can creamed corn
- 1 cup ube halaya
- 1 tbsp ube flavoring
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
To Make the Cheesy Ube Maja Blanca:
- 1 In a bowl, add the evaporated milk and the cornstarch. Mix well using a whisk.
- 2 Add the coconut milk, condensed milk, and sugar to the mixture. Mix well.
- 3 Add the creamed corn to the mixture. Mix until combined.
- 4 Divide the maja blanca mixture equally between two bowls. Set aside one bowl of the maja blanca mixture.
- 5 In the other bowl, add the ube halaya and mix until no clumps of the ube halaya remain. Add the ube flavoring and mix well. Set aside.
- 6 Cook the white maja blanca mixture in a pan over low heat for 15 minutes. Continuously stir the white maja blanca mixture until it has thickened and has a batter-like consistency.
- 7 Coat the inside of a clear container with butter. Pour the cooked white maja blanca into the container and smoothen it out. Set aside.
- 8 Cook the ube maja blanca mixture in a pan over low heat for 15 minutes. Continuously stir the ube maja blanca mixture until it has thickened and has a batter-like consistency
- 9 Pour the cooked ube maja blanca on top of the white maja blanca. Gently press the ube maja blanca onto the white maja blanca and smoothen the mixture out.
- 10 Let it completely cool or place inside the refrigerator for an hour.
- 11 Once the maja blanca is cold, put a parchment paper on top of the container. Use a flat board bigger than the container to flip the contents.
- 12 Using a serving plate, flip the maja blanca again. (The white ube maja blanca should be on the bottom while the ube maja blanca should be on top.)
- 13 Top the maja blanca with grated cheese. Slice and serve.
You can watch the full video recipe here:
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here!