Pinoy OFW Shares His Hack To Make A Mary Grace-Style Chocolate Mousse Cake
It's one of Mary Grace Café's most famous cakes!
Mary Grace Café is known for several desserts and pastries, and one of the popular cakes on their menu is the Chocolate Mousse Cake. This is a moist chocolate cake topped with rich chocolate mousse, then crowned with whipped cream rosettes.
Karl Blardony, an OFW in the United States and who also previously shared with Yummy.ph his Conti's Mango Bravo hack, has developed another great cake hack for Mary Grace Café's Chocolate Mousse. If you're interested to know how he did it, here's his recipe:
Mary Grace-Style Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Ingredients for the chocolate cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups strong coffee powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
How to make the chocolate cake:
- 1 Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 176 degrees C.
- 2 Sift together the dry ingredients (including the sugar) into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine. (Make sure to properly sift, so it won't create lumps.)
- 3 Combine wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
- 4 Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- 5 Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, mix on Low for about a minute.
- 6 Divide the batter evenly into the cake pan. Bake it for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (It is recommended to rotate the pans halfway through the baking time.)
- 7 Let it cool for 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool fully. Set aside.
Ingredients for the chocolate mousse:
- 500 grams dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate
- 350 ml heavy whipping cream
- 8 tablespoons white sugar
How to make the chocolate mousse:
- 1 Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds.
- 2 In a bowl, combine heavy whipping cream and granulated sugar. Whip to stiff peaks.
- 3 Put a big scoop of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate. Fold gently to prevent lumps.
- 4 Pour all the chocolate-whipped cream mixture into the remaining whipped cream. Fold again carefully. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
Ingredients for whipped cream:
- 4 oz cream cheese, cold
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, very cold
How to make whipped cream:
- 1 In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat them using a whisk or electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- 2 Add the cream into the bowl and beat it until stiff peaks.
- 3 Transfer whipped cream into a piping bag with a #6 French pipping tip attached. Keep chilled until ready to use.
To assemble the cake:
- 1 In an 8-inch round metal cake mold ring, put plastic wrap on one end of the ring mold. Stretch the plastic properly to leave no wrinkles. Secure the plastic with a rubber band.
- 2 Once the chocolate cake is cool enough to cut, level the cake top so the layer is even. Trim the cake into a 6-inch circle.
- 3 Pour the chocolate mousse into the mold, filling the mold 3/4 full. (Make sure you fill the mold with no spaces left on the sides.)
- 4 Put the 6-inch cake on the top of the mousse and press down gently until it is submerged in the mousse.
- 5 Freeze the cake for 24 hours or until the mousse is completely set.
- 6 To unmold the mousse, remove the plastic wrap. Place the cake on a cake board. Use a kitchen blow torch or a hair blower to heat the sides of the mold to loosen the cake. Once loosened, slowly remove the ring mold from the cake.
- 7 Pipe the cream cheese whipped cream on top of the mousse. Slice and serve.
Thinking about what to cook next? Join our Facebook group, Yummy Pinoy Cooking Club, to get more recipe ideas, share your own dishes, and find out what the rest of the community are making and eating!
Got your own version of the classic dishes? Pa-share naman! Get your recipe published on Yummy.ph by submitting your recipe here.