The Jamaican patty is a baked pastry filled with meat or vegetables. This savory and crispy beef Jamaican patty recipe is perfect to make as a snack or for merienda.
Beef Jamaican Patty Recipe with Aioli Dip
Beef Jamaican Patty Ingredients with Aioli Dip
- To make the dough, combine and mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl: flour salt, sugar, curry powder, turmeric powder, and baking powder. Add butter and shortening. Use a fork to mix and break some of the butter into smaller pieces. The texture should be a crumb-like texture.
- Add cold water or milk. Use a fork again to mix it just enough to incorporate it. (Do not overmix or else the dough will not be flaky.) Using your hands, compress and form it into a ball and wrap it with cling wrap. Let it rest inside the refrigerator for 1 hour up to 1 and a half hours.
- For the filling, heat a pan with cooking oil. Sauté garlic, onion, and sliced mushrooms. Add tomato paste and brown it for about 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook it for 7 to 10 minutes or until cooked. Add red bell pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, pepper, and salt. Mix and let it stay for 2 minutes. Transfer into a bowl and let it cool.
- To make the aioli dip, mix mayonnaise, vinegar or lemon juice, minced garlic, and salt. Add warm water or milk to make the sauce thin. Set aside.
- To assemble the patty, knead the dough on a flat surface with flour. Cut into the desired shape and add the filling on half the dough then fold. Using a fork, gently press it down to seal the patty. Brush each patty with egg wash.
- Place it on a baking tray or cookie sheet and bake it inside a preheated oven (200 degrees C or 400 degrees F) for 20 to 25 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate and serve it together with the dip.