Adobo is a Filipino favorite! Try this easy recipe for Adobong Pula, or red adobo, which has atsuete oil.
Adobong Pula (Red Adobo) Recipe
Adobong Pula (Red Adobo) Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 Cup Achuete Seeds (annatto seeds)
- 1 head Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 kilo pork (use pork belly or shoulder), cubed
- 3 to 4 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 Cup white vinegar
- 1 Cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat cooking oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté annatto (atsuete) seeds for 2 to 3 minutes; strain oil and return to pan.
- Sauté garlic in oil for 3 to 5 minutes. Add pork belly or shoulder and dried bay leaves; cook for 10 minutes. Cook until pork fat is rendered and meat is browned.
- Add white vinegar and water; simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Season with salt.