Beef stew is a classic ulam. What makes it so good is that the beef is slowly simmered until super tender and the liquid it was in has reduced to a super flavorful gravy that’s loaded with umami. A classic version usually has potatoes, carrots, celery, and a small handful of fresh herbs to give it a delicious aroma. The sauce meanwhile is made of stock (Chicken or beef will do!) and some red wine to give a robust flavor that only wine can give it.
That’s why this version is so unique! Instead of wine, this beef stew recipe has sweetened notes from the real chunks of apples and apple juice that are added to the dish. If you love apples and enjoy eating beef, this recipe is a dish that you’ll want to give a try. Plus, it’s a delicious beef dish that’s different in flavor from your usual savory kaldereta.
Apple Beef Stew Recipe
Apple Beef Stew Ingredients
- 1 kilo beef cubes
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1/2 Cup celery chopped
- 1 piece beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 medium carrots peeled, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 pieces Fuji apples peeled, cored, sliced into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- parsley leaves chopped, optional
- Lightly dredge beef cubes in flour.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Sear beef in batches until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Set beef aside.
- Saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add celery and saute for 1 minute.
- Add bouillon cube and cook for another minute. Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute or until the pastiness of the tomato paste is cooked out and turns a dark reddish color.
- Add bay leaves and seared beef cubes. Pour in soy sauce. Stir well.
- Add water and apple juice. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 hours or until beef is tender.
- Once beef is tender, add carrots and apples. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle parsley on top, if desired. Serve warm.