Try this recipe for chicken arroz caldo: this is the Pinoy version of congee and is best eaten with lots of toasted garlic bits on top!
Arroz Caldo Recipe
Arroz Caldo Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Small red onion sliced thinly
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/4 kilo Chicken use breast part
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
- 7 cups water
- 1 Cup rice uncooked
- Salt to taste
- 4 Egg (hardboiled), peeled and halved
- fried garlic bits (we used 1 head of garlic, peeled and minced)
- 1/4 Cup green onion chopped
- calamansi cut into wedges
- fish sauce (patis)
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil then add onions, ginger and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned and have rendered juices. Add fish sauce and continue to cook for around 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the 7 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the rice and let it boil then simmer under medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir occasionally until the rice is softened.
- While waiting for the rice to cook and soften, shred the chicken into pieces. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot. Stir and simmer for around 5 minutes.
- Ladle onto bowls. Add boiled egg and garnish with green onions and toasted garlic. Serve hot with calamansi and additional fish sauce on the side.