Bacon, kimchi, fried rice, and eggs– this breakfast dish has everything we love! Who says you can’t have kimchi in the morning?
Bacon and Kimchi Frittata Recipe
Bacon and Kimchi Frittata Ingredients
- 250 Grams thick-cut bacon sliced into 1-inch-thick strips
- 1 1/2 cups Shitake mushrooms fresh, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 (1/2-inch) knob ginger peeled and minced (about 1/2 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gochujang
- 1 Cup kimchi squeezed, liquid reserved, and chopped
- 1 Cup rice cooked, day-old
- 1 Cup pus extra to garnish
- 7 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- olive oil
- Heat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and render fat until bacon is crisp. Once bacon is lightly crisp, add shiitake mushrooms and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, ginger, ¼ teaspoon salt, and gochujang; cook until fragrant.
- Add kimchi and sauté for 1 minute. Increase heat to high, add rice, and stir for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add 1 tablespoon reserved kimchi liquid and pea shoots. Gently stir until pea shoots begin to wilt. Transfer to a bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs, milk, and the rest of the salt in a bowl. Add cooled bacon-kimchi mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In the same pan, heat a thin layer of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture and cook for 1 minute. Tilt pan slightly and use a rubber spatula to gently lift the sides of the frittata, allowing the uncooked egg to run underneath. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes then turn off heat.
- Transfer pan to the preheated oven and bake just until eggs are set, about 10 to 12 minutes. Rotate pan halfway through cooking.
- Turn on broiler setting or move pan closer to the top of the oven. Broil until top is slightly browned and puffed, about 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Slice into triangles and top with extra fresh pea shoots.