You can make a creamy pasta without the guilt. The secret? Add squash to the sauce and use mushrooms instead of bacon.
Bacon and Mushroom Pasta Recipe
Bacon and Mushroom Pasta Ingredients
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms
- olive oil to drizzle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Cup white onions chopped
- 2 teaspoons Garlic minced
- 3 cups squash peeled and diced
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 350 Grams linguine noodles cooked according to package directions, 1 cup cooking liquid reserved
- 1/4 Cup parmesan cheese grated, plus extra to serve
- 3/4 Cup glazed pili nuts chopped coarsely
- sage leaves to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the mushroom bacon: Place mushrooms in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to mix well. Arrange mushrooms in one layer on baking sheets.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn mushrooms gently and return to the oven. Cook until crisp and golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to another tray and let cool. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- Make the creamy squash sauce: Heat oil and melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes. Add chopped sage, if using, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is soft and liquid has reduced by half, about 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool slightly
- Transfer squash mixture to a blender and purée until smooth. Return puréed squash to pan over medium heat. Add cream. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Toss in cooked linguine. Add pasta cooking liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, if sauce is too thick. Mix in Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Top with mushroom bacon and pili nuts. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and garnish with sage leaves, if using.