Sweet potatoes are nutritious—bake them and top with Mexican-style chickpeas. This easy baked potato recipe also includes a garlic-cilantro yogurt, making it extra tasty.
Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Baked Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
- 4 large yellow sweet potatoes (kamote) skin-on, scrubbed clean
- olive oil to drizzle
- cilantro leaves (wansoy) to garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Small red onions sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped finely
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzos) drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Spanish paprika
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves Garlic minced finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Drizzle sweet potatoes with olive oil and rub to cover each well. Place potatoes on a piece of aluminum foil, fold to seal, then place on a baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until completely soft (a small knife inserted into a potato should easily slide in).
- Meanwhile, make the Mexican-style chickpeas: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until soft and caramelized. Add garlic; cook until fragrant. Add chickpeas and toss. Add cumin and paprika; stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes to allow flavors meld. (If chickpeas look dry, add up to 3 tablespoons water, a little at a time, to moisten.) Adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- 3 Make the garlic-cilantro yogurt: Mix together Greek yopgurt, garlic, fresh cilantro leaves, extra virgin olive oil, and salt. Set aside.
- Make a slit lengthwise down the middle of each sweet potato. Top with chickpeas, yogurt, and salsa. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with extra yogurt and salsa on the side.