Baked ziti is a pasta dish that uses another kind of pasta shape: the ziti. The ziti pasta shape actually looks like a long cylinder with straight-cut ends. This pasta shape is hard to find but the closest pasta shape is the penne, a long, pointed, and sometimes ribbed pasta tube.
It doesn’t matter what pasta you use for this dish because the end result is super creamy and gooey, especially if you use lots of mozzarella.
Baked Ziti With White Sauce Recipe
Baked Ziti With White Sauce Ingredients
- 300 Grams penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large white onion peeled, chopped
- 1/2 kilogram ground chicken
- 1 68-gram packet cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 Cup water more for boiling pasta
- 1 200-gram pack mozzarella cheese grated large (about 2 cups)
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Salt or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C. Lightly oil a 9- by 5-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large pot over high heat, bring enough water, salted, to a boil for cooking the pasta. Cook pasta until just cooked or al dente. Drain and keep warm in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan over medium heat, heat oil and saute onions until just softened. Add ground chicken and sear before crumbling. Cook until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Combine evaporated milk and water, and whisk to dissolve soup powder in the milk mixture. Pour into the pan with the seared ground chicken. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Simmer until thickened. Season with ground pepper to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Add the white sauce to the pasta and toss to coat and mix. Transfer half the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with half the mozzarella. Cover with the remaining pasta mixture and top with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the top begins to lightly brown. Serve while hot.