Want a healthy burger recipe? Substitute with your favorite beans or legumes, or finely chop the mixture to make falafel-like patties.
Bean Burger Recipe
Bean Burger Ingredients
- 1 Cup monggo beans rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water or as needed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Small red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 450 Grams garbanzos drained
- 400 Grams red kidney beans rinsed, drained
- 1/4 Cup black olives drained, sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- black pepper to taste
- egg whites from 3 large eggs
- Bring a saucepan with monggo and water to a boil. Simmer until beans are tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan over medium heat, heat oil. Cook onion, then garlic. Add to monggo bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, process oatmeal until finely ground. Add to monggo bowl. Pulse the garbanzos, kidney beans, olives, salt, and ground spices in food processor until roughly chopped, scraping down sides regularly. Add to monggo bowl. Stir in egg whites until well mixed.
- Using an ice cream scoop, form bean mixture into mounds onto parchment paper. Pat down until flattened while keeping the round shape intact. Freeze.
- Pan fry patties when ready to serve. Recipe originally published in the February 2016 issue of Good Housekeeping.