This easy Filipino beef recipe is similar to other tomato-based stews like Caldereta and Estofado. The soy sauce, beef stock, and tomato sauce give it a rich sauce while the veggies provide texture and flavor to this easy Filipino favorite.
Beef Mechado Recipe
Beef Mechado Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 large red onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 kilo Beef (use brisket), cut into large chunks
- 2 cups Tomato sauce
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 Potatoes quartered
- 1 carrot cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 bell pepper sliced
- Salt to taste
- Heat cooking oil in a pot then sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the beef and sauté until lightly browned.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, soy sauce, beef stock and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Cover and continue to simmer everything over low heat until the beef is tender, approximately 1 hour. Check the pot from time to time if you need to add more stock or water.
- Once the beef is tender, add in the potatoes, carrots and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes just before serving.