Beef pares is a braised beef dish that consists of different tastes and savory flavors. A mixture of soy sauce, water, sugar, and other spices were mixed together in order to give the beef a flavorful sauce. Simmering tenderizes the beef. It also thickens the sauce and extracts the flavors of the beef at the same time.
Beef Pares Recipe
Beef Pares Ingredients
- 500 Grams Beef cut into strips
- 2 cups water
- 5 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 pieces thumb-sized ginger minced
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 3 pieces star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- toasted fried garlic Optional
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- In a pan over medium heat, put one tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Saute garlic, onions and ginger. (These aromatics bring in the savory flavor and aroma to our dish.)
- Add the beef and continue to saute until it turns brown.
- Pour in water and add the star anise.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes on low heat or until the meat becomes tender.
- Add the soy sauce and sugar, bring it to a boil, then add the cornstarch (dissolved in water).
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the butter to enhance the flavor. Garnish with fried toasted garlic. Serve.