The salted egg trend may be past but there’s still Christmas! Bibingka is a beloved baked rice cake but you don’t need an oven to make these pancakes!
We hacked a pancake mix simply by adding more sugar and swapping the water with gata or coconut milk. The result is a super fluffy pancake with notes of coconut in every bite. Plus, the salted egg yolk is made into a creamy sauce made with more gata. This will make you hungry and excited for Christmas!
Bibingka Pancake Recipe
Bibingka Pancake Ingredients
- 4 pieces salted egg yolks
- 1 1/3 cups coconut cream divided
- 1 250-gram pack pancake mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tablespoons salted butter melted, more for frying
- coconut (niyog) grated, to serve
- salted butter to serve
- Salt to taste
- Make the salted egg sauce: In a small mini food chopper, combine salted egg yolks, salt to taste, and 1/3 cup gata or coconut cream. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pancake mix, remaining 1 cup gata, sugar, egg, and melted butter. Whisk until just combined.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Lightly brush the surface with melted butter (or oil if desired). Scoop and pour about 1/2 cup pancake mix into the center and cook. Watch the surface of the pancake until bubbles form and pop and the edges are just set. Flip. Cook until the pancake has risen on all sides and the center of the pancake bounces back immediately when pressed firmly. Remove from the pan. Repeat with remaining pancake mix.
- To serve, plate 2 to 3 pancakes on a plate. Top with butter, grated coconut, and lightly drizzle with salted egg sauce.